Using the right painting tools will ensure optimum results when it comes to painting any room in your home.
You’ve chosen just the right colours for the room you’d like to paint, but are not sure of the painting tools to use to get that professional look.
At the Langley Decorating Centre we have what you need to make any painting project go more smoothly and get excellent results.
Paint Surface Preparation Tools
Surface preparation is crucial in painting interiors. It is essential to have a dry, clean, obstruction-free surface before you start to paint. Here are the tools you’ll need:
- Screwdriver: to remove all outlet and switch covers
- Painter’s tape: to place on trims, baseboards, uncovered outlets and switches, and any other surface that needs protection from paint stains
- Paint scraper or flexible putty knife: to remove cracked or peeling paint and to apply caulking compound or putty to cracks, nail holes, and other surface depressions
- Sandpaper: to smooth out imperfections, sags, drips, or runs on walls or other surfaces
- Tack or damp cloth: to wipe clean surfaces to be painted after using steel wool or sandpaper
Painting Tools: Brush or Roller?
Once you’ve properly prepared the surface, you’re ready to paint. Whether to use a paintbrush or a paint roller depends on the type of paint you are using and the size of the surface to be painted.
Although using a paintbrush takes considerably longer than a roller, it is ideal for cutting in, windows, baseboards, and intricate trim work.
- Nylon/polyester blended brushes: the best choice for all latex (water-based) paints and coatings
- Natural China bristle brushes: the best choice for oil-based paints, stains, epoxies, and varnishes because natural bristles will soak up the water and go limp when used to apply water-based paints
Paint rollers make painting go more quickly, but should be used only for painting walls, ceilings, and other large, flat surfaces. They can be used to apply both latex and oil-based paints and stains and do a fine job with both gloss and semi-gloss coatings.
- Paint roller sizes: The standard roller length is 22.9 cm (9 1/2 inches). For smaller areas, a 10.2 cm or 17.8 cm (4 or 7 1/2 inches) roller cover may be used. For larger areas like walls, ceilings, and floors, a 35.6 cm or 45.7 cm (14 or 18 inches) roller will get the job done more quickly.
Here’s a comprehensive list of painting tools and supplies you’ll need to give your interior a gorgeous and lasting paint makeover:
- Primer and paint
- Paint brushes and paint rollers by Woster and Corona
- Paint paddles
- Roller trays
- Mineral spirits/solvents (to clean up oil-based paint)
- Drop cloths or tarps and cleaning cloths
- Caulking gun, putty knife, and caulk/joint compound
- Steel wool, wire brush
- Tack cloth
- Painter’s tape – Frog Tape
We are here to help
Whatever your project, Langley Decorating Centre has everything you need to create an environment that you’ll love.
Need more help? Let us bring our expertise to you, and together we can define your style in the comfort of your own home.